From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] using KDE
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2016 03:36:57
1 160921 Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
2 > On 21 September 2016 at 06:46, Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
3 >> I've been a happy user of Fluxbox for many years,
4 >> but am willing to see how well KDE 5 works in 2016 .
5 > You should install plasma-desktop and use startkde in your ~/.xinitrc .
6
7 Thanks. I've been trying out KDE 5 for the past week
8 & generally it's usable : it's about as quick to start as Fluxbox,
9 given that it starts apps automatically, cursor movements seem smoother
10 & some window expansions are a bit cleaner.
11
12 However, I've discovered that it's not recognising the numeric pad keys :
13 they simply have no effect, even as surplus cursor keys.
14 There was a discussion in a forum in 2015 about this problem
15 & it was traced back to a bug in Qt 5.5 , supposedly fixed in 5.6 .
16 I'm using 5.6 , but the problem is still there.
17
18 Has anyone else encountered this ? Are there any suggestions ?
19 Yes, I use Numlockx & have tried all options in SystemSettings.
20 The numeric pad works without difficulty in Fluxbox.
24 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
25 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
26 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca