From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] DOS VIM permissions problem under DOSEMU
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2009 04:54:07
1 I don't want to get into a flamewar over this, but I'm working on
2 Fortran 77 program for a personal project. Because the gcc maintainers
3 gave up on F77, and f95 is partial superset that deprecates some F77
4 stuff, I'm trying to do this with the DJGPP g77 compiler under DOS
5 emulation. g77 dies under DOSBOX, so I switched to DOSEMU. I've been
6 able to test-build "Hello World" and was itching to get started. I
7 really don't like DOS EDIT (and it's memory constrained), and I love
8 VIM. So the 32-bit DOS version of VIM seemed a natural choice within
9 DOSEMU. But any attempt to save a file after editing causes error
10 messages galore, and wipes out the original file (OUCH!). A bit of
11 detective work shows that DOS VIM starts off with zero-byte files that
12 have weird permissions, like so...
13
14 waltdnes@d530 ~/.dosemu/drive_c/tmp $ ll
15 total 0
16 drwxr-xr-x 2 waltdnes users 104 Aug 1 20:59 .
17 drwxr-xr-x 8 waltdnes users 336 Aug 1 21:01 ..
18 -r--r--r-- 1 waltdnes users 0 Aug 1 18:08 VIEW.BAT~
19 -r--rw-r-- 1 waltdnes users 0 Aug 1 20:59 hw.for~
20
21 Needless to say, it cannot save to read-only files. I've already
22 tried monkeying with umask, with no effect.
23
24 For now, I use an xterm with linux VIM editing the DOS files, and
25 DOSEMU runs in another window, where I do the compile and test runs.
26 Yeah, it works, but I'd prefer an all-in-one solution.
29 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>