From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Goodbye, Gentoo
Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 19:21:37
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 18:38 on Saturday 28 May 2011, Daniel da Veiga
2 did opine thusly:
3
4 > On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 20:28, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > It looks like it's time to take Gentoo off of my main machine. I feel a
6 > > little sad about it, or I'd just quietly go away.
7 > >
8 > > So, since I am familiar with Ubuntu from work, and have it on a couple of
9 > > laptops, I'm installing from the Ubuntu 11.04 live disk (video is just
10 > > fine).
11 >
12 > Good luck.
13 > A friend just dropped Ubuntu cause they simply decided to use Unity, and
14 > the dashboard is just (his words) weird. He was used to the Gnome look,
15 > and they simply changed everthing with an upgrade.
16 >
17 > I stick with Gentoo, at least I know my next upgrade won't change my whole
18 > interface...
21 Ubuntu are simply doing what KDE already did - take a risk, go with something
22 new, try to stay ahead of the curve.
23
24 Unity works fine on my netbook with 600 vertical pixels. I'm not sure it would
25 work well on my 1920x1200 notebook though. That's the risk one takes with
26 disruptive technologies, you might annoy some of your users
31 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com