From: Maxim Wexler <maxim.wexler@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] return of SOD
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 04:01:35
1 Hi group,
2
3 That's (S)creen (O)f (D)eath. I thought I had fixed this problem on my
4 eee. I would get these SODs, black usually, but sometimes white and
5 once green while connected to the web(don't know if that's
6 significant). At first I thought it was the browser, so I tried
7 firefox-3.0, firefox-3.5, opera-10. Same story, so I replaced xfce4
8 with fluxbox, no screen savers, no icons, widgets, just the default
9 bar at the bottom of the screen and there was no problem for several
10 days until this morning the desktop went totally black and wouldn't
11 respond to mouse or keyboard.
12
13 I did #tail /var/log/Xorg.0.log immediately from a spare console but
14 there was no sign of trouble.
15
16 I can get back to the start console, ctl-c and run startx again but
17 the desktop remains black. To get back the desktop I have to reboot.
18
19 Anybody guess what's happening here?
20
21 Maxim