From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Q on portage's rational to re-emerge packages
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 09:13:51
1 On 27/09/2013 10:24, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > would anybody please be so kind to explain to me the rational used by
4 > portage to re-emerge
5 > some packages.
6 >
7 > I've installed portage 2.2.7 and when I try to emerge, say,
8 > app-shells/zsh-completions
9 > it re-emerges (emerge -vp shows 'rR') several packages including, i.e.,
10 > app-office/libreoffice
11 >
12 > I can't imaging libreoffice depends in any way on zsh-completions.
13 >
14 > So, what's going on?
15 >
16 > (and rebuilding libreoffice isn't just fun)
17 >
18 > Many thanks,
19 > Helmut.
22 You didn't supply any output or any details about your system, so your
23 question can't be properly answered. I can make a guess, so from the man
24 page:
25
26 r reinstall (forced for some reason, possibly due to
27 slot or sub-slot)
28 R replacing (remerging same version)
31 I'd guess libreoffice needs to be rebuilt and is triggered by a sub-slot
32 (in the old days you would have had to run revdep-rebuild or emerge
33 @preserved-rebuild to find this)
34
35 I imagine this is in no way related to zsh-completions, that just
36 happens to be on the command line. It's related to running emerge.
37
38 If you require a better answer, please provide proper emerge output.
39 Rage questions don't usually lead to correct explanations
43 Alan McKinnon
44 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com