From: bn <brullonulla@×××××.com>
To: gentoo users <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] The Great Macbook Update 2: How to brace for xorg
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2009 14:14:50
1 Hi,
2
3 Second thread of help with my Macbook upgrade of essentials which I
4 don't upgrade since a long time.
5
6 Now I have to prepare to jump from xorg-1.3 to xorg-1.6. I've seen
7 already there are a lot of horror stories in the mailing list and a lot
8 of weird instructions about hal, evdev etc.
9
10 Before starting, I have some pre-emptive question:
11 - Is using hal for xorg necessary?
12 - If I want xorg to use the same old config files of before, is it
13 enough to compile with -hal ? Is there a way to tell xorg "dynamically"
14 to use hal or not, so that I can check without recompiling but just by
15 restarting X?
16 - I have the keymap (an Italian Macbook keyboard) customized in the , so
17 that, for example, apple key works as Alt-Gr. To keep such
18 customizations on (which, I admit, I don't remember well where they are,
19 but maybe someone of you does! it was in the Gentoo Wiki but now I see
20 the relevant part is no more), is it again good to let xorg use xorg.conf?
21 - Anything else I should be aware of, like stuff to put into xorg.conf
22 before trying to restart X?
23
24 Thanks!
25 m.