From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 1TB 2.5in drive recommendation
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 14:21:38
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 15/09/2014 13:10, Stroller wrote:
3 >> On Sun, 14 September 2014, at 9:53 pm, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> ...
5 >>> Google has 1,000,000+ drives, I'll trust what they say after statistical
6 >>> analysis.
7 >>> Rack Space has a goodly number of drives too so I'll trust them as well.
8 >>> I'll even trust my previous employer (an ISP with 10+ data centres) and
9 >>> customers fitting every example of every drive out there at random.
10 >> There is some great information of this kind available - the trouble is that, by the time you've tested drives for 3 years, your information is 3 years out of date (as far as "what's the latest drive I should buy?" is concerned).
11 >>
12 >> http://www.pcworld.com/article/2089464/three-year-27-000-drive-study-reveals-the-most-reliable-hard-drive-makers.html
13 >>
14 >> From this report we should buy Hitachi and distrust Seagate, but not only were only specific models tested, for all know both manufacturers may have long ago changed their manufacturing methods now.
15 >
16 > Which is why most folks who buy substantial numbers of drives do
17 > something like this:
18 >
19 > 1. Decide what drives[1] you like and take proper statistical history
20 > into account. The answer is often somewhat random and more about "I
21 > like" rather than "I know for a fact".
22 > 2. Buy those drives.
23 > 3. Establish a relationship with that vendor.
24 > 4. If step #2 goes south and you got duds, get replacements leveraging on #3
27 > But asking a random bunch of dudes on a mailing list "what is a good
28 > drive right now" is a useless question. If the mailing list is big
29 > enough there are only two eventual answers:
30 >
31 > - any of them
32 > - none of them
35 > [1] This can be 0, 1 or more drive types
41 I have to agree. I have had a WD drive do a hard failure. I recently
42 had the sector error on a Samsung as some may recall. The WD failure
43 was on this list to but that was years ago. If a person buys a lot of
44 drives, eventually they will all fail. I suspect that every brand of
45 drive has failures that are under warranty too. I'd even bet that every
46 brand has DOAs as well.
47
48 About the only thing that may help is if there is a known bad batch out
49 there that should be avoided at all costs. Other than that, roll the
50 dice and buy a drive. Then make sure you have backups.
51
52 Dale
53