From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 1/2 OT: What Linux could learn from mainframes ?
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 15:53:35
1 On Monday 24 March 2008, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
2 > Hi folks,
5 > after reading several articles about Mainframes and similar archs
6 > (even ancient ones like B7000), I wonder if Linux world could
7 > learn something from there.
8 >
9 > One very interesting point (IMHO) is the storage abstraction.
10 > AFAIK, Mainframes work on one large virtual memory (disks for
11 > swapping out RAM, tapes for swapping out disks, etc).
12 > This way you just allocate some piece of space (like some virtual
13 > partition) to an application (of guest). If you need more space,
14 > just plug in more disks and the OS will handle all this
15 > automatically.
16 >
17 > I'm currently planning to implement an similar approach for Linux
18 > (at least virtual block devices).
19 >
20 > What do you think about this ?
21
22 I believe these concepts are to a large degree implemented in an
23 existing product.
24
25 It's called ZFS.
26
27 Pity about the license though. We are out in the cold.
31 Alan McKinnon
32 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
35 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list