From: gottlieb@×××.edu
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] update world problem (looks like slot confusion on my part)
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2014 22:25:04
1 On Sat, Jun 21 2014, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2
3 > On Fri, 20 Jun 2014 21:20:52 -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >
5 >> > The moral is always look for portage trying to downgrade packages and
6 >> > add the appropriate keyword entries when using this approach.
7 >> >
8 >>
9 >> The only issue with this is that you never get back to stable that way.
10 >
11 > You will, it just takes a few steps with the odd package. The situation
12 > only arises where a release is pulled before ever going stable,
13 > generally because testing did its job and found a problem. Most packages
14 > do not need this attention.
15
16 I see. During my "going stable" period I had this occur a few times.
17 Some times I let portage downgrade other times and added the keyword
18 entries other times (for me the second case involved updating not adding
19 keyword entries)
20
21 This time I am being asked to add keyword entries. I will follow your
22 advice and not consider downgrading to the highest stable version.
23
24 thanks for the advice.
25 allan