From: pk <peterk2@××××××××.se>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ati or Nvida
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 18:51:32
1 Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
2
3 > Yes, ATI has released docu. Yes, everybody is working on the drivers. But the
4 > open ones only do 2d so far and the closed ones are horrible.
5
6 I have had quite a few ATI cards (all radeon class) and have been using
7 fglrx for almost as long as it has been out and have had very little
8 problems. I have only had one Nvidia card though (which I gave up on a
9 long time ago due to problems with the drivers). So everything's not
10 "peachy" in Nvidia-land... All from my experience and point of view, of
11 course.
12
13 Regarding the open source drivers (of which I'm quite excited about):
14 The open ones do 3D and have done so for quite a while (r2/3/400). R500
15 has recently been added (albeit alpha quality) and r600 is on it's way.
16 http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ati_r500_3d&num=1
17 http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ati_r500_gaming&num=1
18 http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjUwNw
19
20 For the inquisitive, documentation is here:
21 http://developer.amd.com/DOCUMENTATION/GUIDES/Pages/default.aspx
22
23 I plan to use an open driver (haven't decided between radeon and
24 radeonhd) when r600 support has stabilised...
25
26 Best regards / MfG
27
28 Peter K