From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Development framework with access restriction?
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2011 00:24:39
1 On 09/30/2011 07:59 PM, Grant wrote:
2 >
3 > Thanks for that. I haven't thought it all the way through, but if
4 > Unix ownership and permissions aren't granular enough and subversion's
5 > path-based authorization won't work, I will need to use ACLs. I think
6 > both subversion's path-based authorization and Unix
7 > ownership/permissions would be simpler to implement and maintain than
8 > ACLs so I'm hoping it doesn't come to that.
11 ACLs really aren't as bad as they look at first. They work just like
12 permissions on Windows, which are one of the few things it does right.
13 My example is made much more difficult because /var/www contains
14 directories writable by other customers.
15
16 I know *my* config.php files are chgrp apache and chmod 660, but I don't
17 expect everyone else to be so careful (and they shouldn't have to be).
18
19 If you are going to go the version control route, I would suggest
20 setting up a new repository with only the code that he will be working
21 on. You can use a post-update script (or whatever svn calls them) on the
22 server to pull his code into production. He doesn't need to access the
23 files directly.