From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /usr almost full
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 09:57:05
1 On Friday 24 November 2006 11:43, Mick wrote:
2 > On Friday 24 November 2006 06:43, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
3 > > Other's have already told you what you can delete. I'd like to make
4 > > a different proposal.
5 > >
6 > > If you could create another partition, you could install EVMS and
7 > > link the new partition to your /usr partition, using EVMS's
8 > > drive-link plugin, then grow the filesystem to occupy the new
9 > > space.
10 > >
11 > > For future installations you should consider using some kind of
12 > > logical volume manager like LVM or EVMS from the beginning,
13 > > together with an online-resizable filesystem.
14 >
15 > In the event that the OS get borked, is it possible to boot using a
16 > LiveCD (e.g. Knoppix) to recover the fs and data, like one can with
17 > the good ol' primary & logical partitions?
18 >
19 > Or, is there a need for access to software exotica and configuration
20 > files on the borked OS?
21
22 For LVM you only need an initrd on the LiveCD with LVM support. It then
23 looks at the various disks, finds the pvs and then lvs then become
24 available.
25
26 Dunno about EVMS as I have no experience with that
27
28 alan
29 --
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list