From: BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to update portage offline with minimal impact?
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 22:14:14
1 --- Per-Erik Westerberg <per-erik.westerberg@××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > tor 2008-01-03 klockan 13:16 -0800 skrev BRM:
3 > > I have a couple Sparc systems. One has been running Gentoo for a
4 > long
5 > > time - installed using Gentoo 2006, not updated since due to the
6 > issue
7 > > I'm about the discuss - and the other is a near identical system
8 > that
9 > > might get Gentoo 2007 installed. Both are on two separate networks
10 > and
11 > > have no communication between them.
12 > >
13 > > The first system does have some Internet access through a firewall,
14 > but
15 > > it doesn't really work, at least for this purpose; so it's just as
16 > good
17 > > as not having any access at all for this purpose.
18 <snip>
19 > > In either case, I can't update portage using the normal method of
20 > > 'emerge --sync'. So, I'm trying to figure out a solution that would
21 > > enable me to update the systems. Under Slackware, I'd just point
22 > > pkgtool to the CD media and install from that, just like during
23 > > installation. Is there a similar approach for Gentoo? How do I
24 > overcome
25 > > the source mirror issue too so that the systems don't try to
26 > download
27 > > stuff from the web?
28 > >
29 > Have you tried to use a proxy (adjust accordingly)?
30 > export http_proxy=http://proxy.company.com:8080
31 > export ftp_proxy=http://proxy.company.com:8080
32 > export RSYNC_PROXY=proxy.company.com:8080
33
34 Yes, I tried using the proxy on the one system. (The other system won't
35 even have that as an option.) The problem came there that the proxy is
36 an authenticated proxy, primarily designed to work with Windows. It
37 works fine from Firefox/Netscape in X Windows, but causes problems for
38 command-line tools and console browsers. So, in addition to my trying
39 to find a solution where a proxy is not an option, it is, for all
40 intents and purposes, a non-option any way.
41
42 Additionally, because it is an authenticated proxy, it is not an ideal
43 solution as it would leave the username/password for a user in plain
44 site of all users on the system as the info would be either in the
45 environment variables and/or the command-line options of a program. So,
46 from a security stand-point, it's not an option either since it
47 sometimes takes a day or so to perform updates.
48
49 TIA,
50
51 Ben