From: "Michael P. Soulier" <msoulier@×××××××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] ebuild description
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 18:59:27
1 Often when I see something like dev-libs/libassuan, I say, "what the heck is
2 that"?
3
4 So I look at the ebuild file...
5
6 msoulier@anton:~$ grep DESCRIPTION
7 /usr/portage/dev-libs/libassuan/libassuan-1.0
8 .5.ebuild
9 DESCRIPTION="Standalone IPC library used by gpg, gpgme and newpg"
10
11 Great, that helps. Still, I wouldn't think that grep would be the best say, so
12 I looked in the emerge manpage and found --info, but that tells me everything
13 *except* the DESCRIPTION string. :)
14
15 equery doesn't seem to dump this either..
16
17 So, is grep the best approach to answer, "what the heck is that?" :)
18
19 Mike
20 --
21 Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@×××××××××××××.ca>
22 "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a
23 touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
24 --Albert Einstein