From: Thierry de Coulon <tcoulon@××××××××.ch>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new machine: Intel quad vs duo
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 06:39:38
1 On Monday, 24. September 2007, Philip Webb wrote:
2 > I'm getting close to buying the parts for my new machine (see earlier msgs)
3 > & an Intel quad-core mentioned by a helpful responder
4 > has now come down almost within my price range.
5 > The CPU I have been contemplating for some weeks is
6 > an 'Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 4 MB 65 nm 2,67 GHz', which sells for CAD 225 ,
7 > but there is now 'Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 8 MB 65 nm 2,4 GHz' for CAD 305
8 > ; the 8 MB cache in the latter divides into 2 x 4 MB / pair processors.
9 > Prices continue to drop weekly & should go lower with our higher CAD.
10 >
11 > My guess is that even a dual-core CPU wb overkill for my simple desktop,
12 > but I'm keen to get value for money in a machine intended to last to 2011 .
13 > Does anyone have any thoughts re dual- vs quad-core processors
14 > when used for various purposes with Gentoo ?
15
16 I've got no experience with quad, but I can say this with experience: even for
17 a desktop you feel that dual processor is better than dual core, while dual
18 core is better than single core.
19
20 It's not a matter of speed (or seldom is), it's a much smoother multitasking.
21 As my dual core are more often stuck doing something than my dual processor,
22 I'd tend to think that a quad core would not bring much, but can anyone
23 confirm?
24
25 Thierry
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list