From: ds <dsitsolutions@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Installation problems
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 21:56:00
1 On 7/13/07, Hendrik Boom <hendrik@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > A few months ago I tried installing gentoo. It mostly succeedes, but I
3 > was unable to boot the new system.
4 >
5 > When I boot, it fails as follows:
6 >
7 > >> Activating mdev
8 > >> Determining root device
9 > !! Block device /dev/mapper/lovesong-gentoo is not a valid block device
10 > !! The root block device is unspecified or not detected
11 > Please specify a device to boot, or "shell" for a shell
12 > boot() ::
15 > Now I originally installed this system using a chroot from a Debian etch
16 > system. I used genkernel to generate the kernel. As far as I can
17 > remember, I did specified the --lvm option.
18 >
19 > Now perhaps the kernel is not OK because I ran genkernel in a chroot
20 > running on a Debian kernel...
21 >
22 > Perhaps I chose the wront options...
23 >
24 > Perhaps I can fix things by rerunning genkernel with different options...
25 >
26 > Or perhaps I need to start all over from a full-fledged gentoo install CD.
27 >
28 > Please advise.
29 >
30 > -- hendrik
31 >
32 > P.S. Soime Gory Details:
33
34 hendrik -
35
36 My gut reaction is that you should just start over and install from
37 scratch. I have only installed Gentoo by booting from the Gentoo
38 install CD in the past, so I'm not familiar with using chroot from a
39 Debian system. I think the best and most well documented way to do a
40 Gentoo install is to simply follow the handbook
41 (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/index.xml).
42
43 It is very easy to install Gentoo along with other OS's. You just
44 need to have a partition or two handy. In my case, when I'm
45 rebuilding my system from scratch I've always installed Gentoo third
46 (Windows XP first, openSUSE second, then Gentoo). I use two
47 partitions for Gentoo, a /boot partition and a / partition, and I use
48 the swap partition that was created for openSUSE for Gentoo as well.
49 Then, I don't install grub in Gentoo, I simply add a Gentoo entry to
50 the grub menu in openSUSE.
51
52 I haven't personally used LVM with Gentoo, but I have set up an Ubuntu
53 Server box with LVM and my experience is that it is best not to bother
54 with LVM unless you really know you're going to need it. In any case,
55 the documentation I was following for Ubuntu required at least the
56 /boot partition be non-LVM for grub to read the kernel off of it, but
57 this may be due to a lack of knowledge in the workings of grub and
58 LVM.
59 --
60 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list