From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Missing .config
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 16:26:29
1 On Sat, Feb 16, 2008 at 11:02:28AM -0500, Penguin Lover sean squawked:
2 > I was updating my system and the nvidia drivers complained that there
3 > was no .config in /usr/src/linux.
4 >
5 > I looked at it was gone.
6 > This has happened before.
7 > Is this some bug?
8 > I am running on amd64.
9 >
10 > Unfortunately I do not have a current copy of .config.
11 > Does anyone know a less painful way of rebuilding than through make
12 > menuconfig?
13 > I have got to remember to make a backup.
14
15 I usually keep a copy in /boot just in case (not like I am using the
16 space for anything else...)
17
18 If you have enabled the option in the kernel, you can access the
19 current configs via zcat /proc/config.gz, but like I said, you needed
20 to have the foresight to have enabled the option.
21
22 Also, check the symlink for /usr/src/linux? You might have the symlink
23 USE flag set, then if the 'updating of the system' brought in a new
24 kernel tree, your /usr/src/linux will point to the now new and
25 unconfigured version.
26
27 Regaeds,
28
29 W
30 --
31 A gossip is someone with a great sense of rumour.
32 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 435 days, 14:52
33 --
34 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list