From: Alexander Puchmayr <alexander.puchmayr@×××××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel crash - howto find out what happened?
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 09:58:48
1 Hi there!
2
3 As my system froze again right now, I've tried to reproduce it, tried to use
4 some of the hints given to me in this thread, and made the following
5 observations:
6
7 * The system freezes on heavy I/O on my sata-harddisks, especially when
8 copying mpeg-files (>2GB) from one disk to another.
9
10 * a "cat /proc/kmsg" started via ssh from another machine showed the last
11 lines
12
13 <4>ata6: timeout waiting for ADMA IDLE, stat=0x440
14 <4>ata6: timeout waiting for ADMA LEGACY, stat=0x440
15
16 * sysrq does not work at all (why?? I configured it identically to my
17 notebook, it works on the nb but not on the desktop. Simply no reaction
18 when pressing alt-sysrq-something, even under normal conditions.)
19
20 The sata-controller is an nvidia (onboard on my nforce-based mainboard),
21 driven by sata_nv-driver (The one from the kernel, no proprietary nvidia
22 chipset/sata driver installed). The kernel in question is a
23 gentoo-2.6.24-r8, I'll try an upgrade to the latest stable gentoo kernel.
24
25 Thanks to all who gave suggestions
26 Alex