From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] General weirdness - a tale of woe.
Date: Sat, 30 May 2015 07:53:36
1 On 29/05/2015 17:54, Mick wrote:
2 > On Friday 29 May 2015 16:28:57 Alan Grimes wrote:
3 >> Mick wrote:
4 >>> On Friday 29 May 2015 10:36:37 Peter Humphrey wrote:
5 >>>> I had two sets of problems: one in KDE which I might have nailed finally
6 >>>> [1], and one at boot time in which /dev/md7 (RAID-1 with metadata > 1.0)
7 >>>> was not being started.
8 >>>>
9 >>>> [1] Whenever I've had KMail screw up I've created a new user and
10 >>>> re-imported its 14,000 e-mails, and until this latest time I've copied
11 >>>> the .mozilla directory from the old user to the new. This time I did
12 >>>> not, and so far all looks rosy. I'm not counting any chickens yet
13 >>>> though.
14 >>>
15 >>> Did you try deleting the akonadi database file(s) and restarting it
16 >>> instead of creating a new user? You will have to be patient, probably
17 >>> let it run overnight to asynchronously sync and re-index all your
18 >>> messages.
19 >>
20 >> What in god's name is that stupid database for anyway? Does it perform
21 >> any useful function? Is there any tool that gives the user any
22 >> measurable benefit that even justifies one one hundredth of the CPU and
23 >> disk bandwidth consumed by this missfeature?
24 >
25 > I think you're preaching to the converted here. I don't think you'll find
26 > many advocates in this M/L who support the KDE4 desktop design decision as a
27 > sound architectural choice for your average Linux user. I think they were
28 > trying to market a desktop for the enterprise and were following Gnome's
29 > approach of semantic content searches.
30 >
31 > Other than the odd bug here and there I was perfectly happy with KDE3 and
32 > Kmail1 (still using with kde-base/kdepim-meta-4.4.11.1-r1).
35 Akonadi was supposed to be a once-size-fits-all central store of all pim
36 info (contacts, addresses, mails and all metadata about that) which any
37 and all apps could use.
38
39 The vision was that an enormous awesome ecosystem all buying into the
40 OneGrandVision(tm) would spontaneously spring up, thereby validating the
41 existence of akonadi itself due to a magic self-fulfilling prophecy.
42 This did not happen.
47 Alan McKinnon
48 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com