From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: emerge latest in a certain version series of a package
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 15:26:36
1 Thanasis <thanasis <at> asyr.hopto.org> writes:
4 > That's my case, ie Nvidia drivers for a relatively old hardware (AGP
5 > Graphics).
6
7 > Nothing special. I am merely a home user, maintaining a few PCs. That's all.
8
9 Nividia is a *VENDOR* that chooses not to provide information so
10 drivers can be properly maintained, historically. ATI (AMD now) is a vendor
11 who provides information so drivers can be maintained, even optimized, into
12 perpetuity.
13
14 Maybe you chose unwisely?............(get ATI next time) unless
15 you have a valid reason for choosing a "prick" as your vendor?
16
17 As part of the open source community, I would think you have a
18 repsonsibility to *reward those vendors that work generously with the
19 greater open source community* ?
20
21 caveat emptor!
22
23 PS, if you card is very old, you can probably trade it for a
24 similar ATI card, imho. I do not waiste my time on nvidia*.
27 hth,
28 James