From: Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Removal of classic skype
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2017 16:33:08
1 Due to the removal of qt4, all of its reverse dependencies are also going
2 to be removed.
3
4 This decision has already been made by the qt project and is not up for
5 discussion.
6
7 Furthermore, qt4 has a large number of security bugs and it has also been
8 brought to my attention that it even fails to build in a few cases, and
9 finally it is no longer being maintained by upstream. Therefore, due to
10 the build failures making it impossible to even install in a large number
11 of cases, and thus skype classic, I'm no longer going to maintain it.
12
13 Anyone who really wants to keep classic skype still, feel free to install
14 the "kde sunset" overlay to recover the soon-to-be-removed qt4 dependencies
15 and for the moment make a snapshot of the ebuild before it is removed from
16 the portage tree.
17
18 Also, even though they haven't *yet* followed through, microsoft has
19 announced already that the classic version of skype will eventually be
20 EOL'ed. at the moment you're still able to install it as of 48 hours ago
21 last time I checked, but it is on the chopping block and likely will
22 eventually be removed from download, as well as banned from microsoft's
23 login servers. Once this happens further usage will be impossible.
24
25 No further support can be offered on skype classic, and it is eventually
26 going to be removed from the portage tree for the reasons listed above.