From: Alan Ianson <agianson@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Gaming on gentoo
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 05:17:50
1 Hello list,
2
3 I am a gentoo newbie. I have installed gentoo about a month ago and have been busy since in my free time getting it up and running.
4
5 I have a problem with quakespasm, it segfaults on startup.. this is what I get..
6
7 alan@irondust:/usr/share/games/quake$ quakespasm
8 Command line: quakespasm
9 Found SDL version 2.24.2
10 Detected 2 CPUs.
11 Initializing QuakeSpasm v0.95.1
12 Host_Init
13 Playing registered version.
14 Console initialized.
15 UDP Initialized
16 Server using protocol 666 (FitzQuake)
17 Exe: 20:46:02 Dec 12 2022
18 256.0 megabyte heap
19 Video mode 1920x1080x24 60Hz (24-bit z-buffer, 0x FSAA) initialized
20 GL_VENDOR: NVIDIA Corporation
21 GL_RENDERER: GeForce GT 610/PCIe/SSE2
22 GL_VERSION: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 390.157
23 FOUND: ARB_vertex_buffer_object
24 FOUND: ARB_multitexture
25 GL_MAX_TEXTURE_UNITS: 4
26 FOUND: ARB_texture_env_combine
27 FOUND: ARB_texture_env_add
28 FOUND: SDL_GL_SetSwapInterval
29 FOUND: EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic
30 FOUND: ARB_texture_non_power_of_two
31 FOUND: GLSL
32 FOUND: glGenerateMipmap
33
34 Sound Initialization
35 Segmentation fault
36 alan@irondust:/usr/share/games/quake$
37
38 I get the above with version 0.95.1 (installed from guru using the git version) and from 0.94.1 also from guru.
39
40 I am not sure why it segfaults or what I can do about that. I have built it with sdl and sdl2 and I get the same result.
41
42 I have run quakespasm on other distributions like debian, archlinux and slackware without issues so there may be something different about gentoo that I need to know about.
43
44 Any thoughts or ideas about how to get this working would be appreciated.