From: thegeezer <thegeezer@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Managing multiple systems with identical hardware
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 19:28:49
1 On 09/30/2013 06:31 PM, Grant wrote:
2 >>> Keeping all of the laptops 100% identical as far as hardware is
3 >>> central to this plan. I know I'm setting myself up for big problems
4 >>> otherwise.
5 >>>
6 >>> I'm hoping I can emerge every package on my laptop that every other
7 >>> laptop needs. That way I can fix any build problems and update any
8 >>> config files right on my own system. Then I would push config file
9 >>> differences to all of the other laptops. Then each laptop could
10 >>> emerge its own stuff unattended.
11 >> I see what you desire now - essentially you want to clone your laptop
12 >> (or big chunks of it) over to your other workstations.
13 > That sounds about right.
14 >
15 >> To get a feel for how it works, visit puppet's web site and download
16 >> some of the test appliances they have there and run them in vm software.
17 >> Set up a server and a few clients, and start experimenting in that
18 >> sandbox. You'll quickly get a feel for how it all hangs together (it's
19 >> hard to describe in text how puppet gets the job done, so much easier to
20 >> do it for real and watch the results)
21 > Puppet seems like overkill for what I need. I think all I really need
22 > is something to manage config file differences and user accounts. At
23 > this point I'm thinking I shouldn't push packages themselves, but
24 > portage config files and then let each laptop emerge unattended based
25 > on those portage configs. I'm going to bring this to the 'salt'
26 > mailing list to see if it might be a good fit. It seems like a much
27 > lighter weight application.
28 >
29 > I'm soaking up a lot of your time (again). I'll return with any real
30 > Gentoo questions I run into and to run down the final plan before I
31 > execute it. Thanks so much for your help. Not sure what I'd do
32 > without you. :)
33 >
34 > - Grant
35 >
36 maybe someone could chip in re: experience with distributed compilation
37 and cached compiles?
38 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Distcc
39 http://ccache.samba.org/
40
41 this may be closer to what you are looking for ?