From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo + HP + Quickmedia
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2011 10:51:22
1 On Tuesday 29 Nov 2011 06:51:30 Carlos Sura wrote:
2 > Hello Mates,
3 >
4 > I have a new HP laptop i5, this came with Windows 7 pre-installed with HP
5 > quickweb (a tool that let me skype, check my email and navigate Interne,
6 > whitout loading WINDOWS).
7
8 I believe that HP are using Splashtop OS to achieve 'Instant-on'
9 functionality, which is running an embedded Linux kernel from ROM, with
10 bootsplash, squashfs, and blackbox as the main binaries. Asus, Acer and
11 others also joined in the fun.
14 > I'm wondering if there any way to leave quickweb with gentoo, or windows +
15 > quickweb + gentoo would be fine...
16
17 Unless I got this wrong, the PC is essentially dual booting between the ROM
18 resident OS and the disk OS. The latter can be any OS inc. Gentoo of course.
21 > Also if someone has suceffuly installed gentoo in HP DM4-1190la please let
22 > me know or a document of WHAT WORKS AND WHAT DO NOT WORKS would be fine.
23 >
24 > Regards
27 Regards,
28 Mick