From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] single core athlon?
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2018 02:25:04
1 On Mon, Jan 08, 2018 at 04:15:57AM +0100, mad.scientist.at.large@××××××××.com wrote
2 > Does any body know if it's possible to set up gentoo on a single core
3 > 64 bit athlon, old socket 754? I tried another distro and it said
4 > it didn't support non-smp 64 bit. If not i'll have to put some 32
5 > bit os on it. I'm planning to use it mostly for a local boot server
6 > for os installs or possibly firewall, maybe eventual honey pot since
7 > it is low energy usage. I know it's not supported by current BSD
8 > or windows. Thanks.
9
10 There are "athlons" and then there are "athlons". Check the gcc page
11 https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-6.4.0/gcc/x86-Options.html#x86-Options
12 for an idea of what's what. You need at least the "k8" version. The
13 ultimate way to find out is to download the amd64 minimal install ISO
14 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Full/Installation#Obtain_the_media
15 and try to boot off it.
18 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
19 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications