From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o, gentoo-user@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ppp connection problem
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 16:31:50
1 On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 17:20, Moshe Kamensky
2 <moshe.kamensky@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > I am trying to help my father install gentoo on a new computer (I am
6 > across the ocean). We have a problem with the internet connection. He
7 > has an adsl account. He runs pppoe-start, and it says that he is
8 > connected. ifconfig shows that ppp0 is up, and gives an ip address.
9 > However, I can't ping that address (I get 100% packet loss). He also
10 > can't ping any address.
11 >
12 > We called the ISP, and from their side it seems that he is connected,
13 > and everything is fine. I don't know where else to look. The log
14 > messages showed in the beginning messages of the form
15 >
16 > LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
17 >
18 > but they seem to no longer appear. As I said, I don't even know where to
19 > start looking for the problem. Any help is appreciated.
22 OK, this may me a little off topic. I don't even know where to start
23 when it comes to check your dad's connection. Being far away and not
24 knowing the exact messages, with no access to the machine itself, its
25 almost impossible to debug and resolve the problem.
26
27 My advice: get a router! Configure it for your dad's connection, the
28 router will assume the PPoE connection, saving you the trouble. It
29 also will act as a firewall and even if your dad's computer fail, any
30 other DHCP enabled device connected to the router will have Internet
31 access.
32
33 Anyway, my two cent :D
36 Daniel da Veiga