From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: decrapify your kernel config WAS: ps shows pegasus process running - what is it?
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 21:20:36
1 On 8 Nov 2009, at 06:55, Dale wrote:
2 >> ...
3 >> I am not you, but I need maybe 5min for a config ;)
4 >>
5 >> and there are more benefits. Smaller binary, more cpu cache free
6 >> for real data.
7 >> Better performance lies that way. Also, you don't have to wonder
8 >> about
9 >> processes you did not start. Security is also a point. A smaller
10 >> codebase in
11 >> use is a saver codebase in use. A lot of bugs only affect kernels
12 >> with certain
13 >> features turned on - it is very relaxing if you don't have that
14 >> feature...
15 >
16 > I agree. When I first installed Gentoo I had never built a kernel or
17 > even run make menuconfig. It took me three tries to get a bootable
18 > kernel but it was worth it. I don't put something in my kernel that
19 > isn't needed or that I use, well except for NTFS support. I may
20 > have to
21 > rescue my brother one day. Point being, you only have to build one
22 > good
23 > kernel then you can copy and run make oldconfig after that. I'm with
24 > Volker on this, 5 minutes at most once you get a good build. If you
25 > know your system really well, you may can start from scratch and
26 > config
27 > one in that time.
28 >
29 > You really need to learn to make your own kernel. ...
30
31 Whilst I agree in principle that a good (slim?) kernel is better and
32 your comments on that, I am sceptical whether the majority of people
33 have the knowledge to make any significant performance or security
34 improvements.
35
36 AIUI the kernels shipped by distros like Red Hat, for instance, are
37 configured by the very people that work on and maintain the mainline
38 kernel tree. How can any of us simple end-users compete with that?
39
40 I imagine it to be very easy for any of us normal people to enable or
41 disable options that make significant performance impact - but we
42 would never know it, because we're not benchtesting it or even
43 qualified to assess proper benchtests.
44
45 I cannot believe that in a day you could study this subject
46 sufficiently to have any reasonable competence on the matter. And thus
47 if you do spend only a day, that's wasted time. I would add that the
48 kernel is evolving constantly, and in a year's time your knowledge -
49 and your .config - is likely to be at least somewhat outdated.
50
51 I chose to copy the .config from Knoppix because it's easy to get hold
52 of that, but also because it's selected by someone who knows more than
53 me, and it is likely to work with any hardware I install into my
54 machine or connect by USB. I take Volker's point that a LiveCD .config
55 _could_ be the worst possible choice so I'm open to alternatives, but
56 I hope those who say I should "learn to make your own kernel"
57 appreciate my points over how effectual that will be - sure, I can
58 delete my .config and start again with `make menuconfig` and I can go
59 through every option and read the help, and I'm sure I'll get just as
60 good results as 80% of the people on this list, but I just don't know
61 that that's much of an answer.
62
63 Stroller.