From: burlingk@×××××××××.mil
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Install Using another System
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 09:27:06
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Florian Philipp [mailto:f.philipp@××××××.de]
3 > Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 5:53 PM
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Install Using another System
8 > Am Montag 04 Juni 2007 23:28 schrieb darren kirby:
9 > > quoth the Randy Barlow:
10 > > > One more question - I'd like to install Gentoo on a very old and
11 > > > small system that doesn't have a CD-ROM, or even an IDE
12 > cable that
13 > > > can connect two drives. Can I put the harddrive from
14 > that system on
15 > > > my normal desktop and install as normal onto that drive? The old
16 > > > system has a very different and old processor from my
17 > normal Gentoo
18 > > > system (it's a Cyrix MediaGX MMX Enhanced according to
19 > /proc/cpuinfo
20 > > > with a whopping 16 kB of cache!) Any problems doing
21 > something like
22 > > > this on a modern system that I haven't thought about?
23 > > >
24 > > > R
25 > >
26 > > Should be OK as long as the host system is an x86. I would use very
27 > > conservative CFLAGS. Your CHOST will likely need to be
28 > > "i386-pc-linux-gnu".
29 > >
30 > > There is a kernel config in "Processor family" that says
31 > > "CyrixIII/Via-C3". Is that what you have? If not or if you are not
32 > > sure then choose plain old "386".
33 > >
34 > > Grub should work alright, as best as I can figure, as long
35 > as (as per
36 > > the
37 > > guide) you install it onto the HDDs MBR.
38 > >
39 > > Maybe something I am not thinking of. Just make sure that
40 > when going
41 > > through the guide that anything that requires CPU specific
42 > choices you
43 > > remember to select for your target, not the host. This may have a
44 > > side-effect of not booting whilst in the host, only when
45 > you move the
46 > > HDD to the target machine.
47 > >
48 > > Good luck!
51 > Please note that Gentoo needs a i486 to work. You can still
52 > optimize your code
53 > for it, though. See http://gentoo-wiki.com/Safe_Cflags#i386
54 > for details.
57 There is also a flag in the same page as the Processor family for
58 Generic x86 support.
61 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list