From: James Ausmus <james.ausmus@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] horrible gedit dependencies
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 20:41:50
1 On 3/8/07, Albert Hopkins <marduk@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2007-03-08 at 21:02 +0100, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
3 > > * Albert Hopkins <marduk@g.o> wrote:
4 > >
5 > > Hi,
6 > >
7 > > > Looking at the ebuild, I see nothing particularly outstanding about
8 > > > it's dependencies relative to other GNOME apps, apart from gtksourceview.
9 > >
10 > > there's lots of documentation stuff pulled in, although I've
11 > > switched off the docs useflag.
12 >
13 > Generally the doc use flag is for developer documentation. That's
14 > probably what it's referring to.
15 >
16 > > ./configure tells me some optional things, ie. scrollkeeper.
17 > > I wonder if gtksourceview and the printing stuff could be made
18 > > optional (./configure doesnt tell anything about it).
19 >
20 > Without gtksourceview you have no gedit. It's the text widget used by
21 > gedit. Scrollkeeper is pretty much used by all GNOME apps for help
22 > docs, etc.
23 >
24 > > > Most GNOME setups will already have these installed.
25 > >
26 > > I don't have any GNOME setup. I just want an easy-to-use editor,
27 > > nothing else.
30 > You probably don't want gedit then. gedit is the "text editor for the
31 > GNOME desktop", so it's pretty much integrated with GNOME itself.
32
33 You could try gvim, if you're already familiar enough with vim (and
34 gvim only has optional dependancies on gnome et al.)
35
36 HTH-
37
38 James