From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /boot filesystem, SSDs, TRIM
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2018 04:11:06
1 On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 06:53:14AM -0500, Dale wrote
2
3 > Correct me if I'm wrong here, it used to be that grub, the original
4 > version not the current bloated one, had to have ext2.  At the time,
5 > that was *the* file system.  If I recall correctly, a ext4 file system
6 > can be *read* the same as ext2.  The difference is the journal.  So,
7 > when booting, grub etc is only reading /boot and it shouldn't matter if
8 > it is ext2, ext3 or ext4.  It's only when being written to that it
9 > matters.  Am I recalling that right?
10
11 Actually ext3 is straight ext2+journal. Ext4 can read ext2. It may
12 be able to do small writes, but once it inserts its magic stuff, ext2
13 can't read it.
14
15 BTW, I see that your system is inserting junk after periods. Binary
16 view shows that where there should be 0x2E, it's 0x2E 0xA0
17
18 > Another one of those times where Linux provides a ton of options.  :/
19 >
20 > Dale
21 >
23
24 And also after closing parentheses. Should be 0x29, but is 0x29 0xA0.
27 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
28 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications