From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Reinstall Gentoo? [Was: Building pygtk-2.22.0-r1 fails. Help, please!]
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 13:41:20
1 Hi, Mick.
2
3 On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 09:17:45AM +0100, Mick wrote:
4 > On Saturday 23 April 2011 21:06:25 Alan Mackenzie wrote:
5 > > On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 08:46:30PM +0100, Mick wrote:
6
7 > > > What do you get when you run:
8
9 > > > # eselect python list
10
11 > > Available Python interpreters:
12 > > [1] python2.6 *
13 > > [2] python2.7
14 > > [3] python3.1
15
16 > OK, the next stage would be to change your python to the latest stable:
17
18 > eselect python set 2
19
20 DONE.
21
22 > and then remerge those packages that were linked against the old
23 > python:
24
25 > python-updater -v -p
26
27 > to get a list of these.
28
29 That gives me a list of 24 packages. Am I meant to actually run
30 python-updater without the -p, here?
31
32 > When you finish all this you can run:
33
34 > emerge --depclean -v -p
35
36 > It should now ask you to remove the old python, but check carefully the
37 > remaining packages in case something important is in the list and
38 > breaks your system.
39
40 I do emerge --depclean -v -p. It says I should run emerge -uDN @world
41 first. I'm a bit apprehensive about this, since the world update says it
42 would reemerge 138 packages (I'm not sure whether this is top-level
43 (whatever that means) packages or the real total). In that list are 3
44 blockages I don't know wha do do with. My experience suggests this will
45 not work smoothly, and I'll likely be left with a non-working (or even a
46 non-bootable) system.
47
48 How come? Well, I started my installation in February 2010, and with one
49 thing and another, didn't get it finished, so it went into cold storage
50 until a month ago. I've had so much trouble trying to get updated, that
51 it might be better to start again from scratch with a new stage3 (or even
52 a new installation CD). This would surely leave my home directory and
53 suchlike untouched. What do you think?
54
55 > --
56 > Regards,
57 > Mick