From: Carlos Sura <carlos.sura1@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] HAL or UDEV...
Date: Sun, 01 May 2011 23:25:40
1 On 1 May 2011 14:09, Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> wrote:
2
3 > Carlos Sura writes:
4 >
5 > > I just have one question, reciently I read in a forum that HAL might be
6 > > deprecated on Gentoo, so, I started using UDEV:
7 > >
8 > > USE=" -hal udev"
9 > >
10 > > But, then I have this problem, updating xorg-server won't work, every
11 > > new version of xorg-server just give me a blank screen, so I thought it
12 > > might be something with HAL or UDEV.
13 >
14 > Did you rebuild all xorg modules with emerge @x11-module-rebuild or
15 > emerge -1 $( qlist -IC x11-drivers/ ) after building xorg-server?
16 > Are there errors in /var/log/Xorg.0.log?
17 >
18 > > I would like to know if someone could tell me if I should be using HAL
19 > > or UDEV? I want to know more, differences, etc.
20 >
21 > You should use udev. All versions of xorg-server in the current portage
22 > tree already no longer have the hal use flag, so I assume HAL is not
23 > being used at all anyway.
24 >
25 > Wonko
29 Hello, thank you for your answers.
30
31 That's exactly what I read, every version of xorg-server does not have hal
32 use flag. That's why I changed to udev.
33
34 I'm not sure about using both use flags, but with my current version of
35 xorg-server -hal +udev everything seems to be working fine, I will
36 unmask next xorg-server versions, and rebuild xorg modules, I'm almost sure
37 I did that, but I'm going to try again, and let's see..
38
39 Anyway, I'm thinking to keep "-hal" and "+udev"
40
41 Regards,
42 --
43 Carlos Sura.-