From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] sys-boot/plymouth could not work
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2012 19:05:38
1 On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 2:50 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 1:32 PM, Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
3 >> On Thursday, April 05, 2012 01:10:46 PM Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
4 >>> On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 2:47 AM, 张春江 <zhangchunjiangrj@×××.com> wrote:
5 >>> 2. GRUB cannot read ext4 partitions (GRUB2 can), so you are reading
6 >>> them as ext3 (I don't know if this can cause any problems). The reason
7 >>> I started to use GRUB2 was because I wanted to use ext4 for my /.
8 >>
9 >> I don't think ext4 and ext3 use the same disk layout, eg. I don't think that
10 >> can work.
11 >
12 > ext4 is fully backwards compatible with ext3, obviously; otherwise 张春江
13 > would not be able to boot his system.
14
15 Not exactly. If you use them, ext4 adds structures and features which
16 means the filesystem isn't liked by ext3-only code. I don't remember
17 which these are, I just know I tended to accidentally enable them
18 while tweaking filesystems with tune2fs.
19
20 Just noting this for clarity.
23 :wq