From: Alexander Kapshuk <alexander.kapshuk@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: re: which NTPd package to use?
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2014 18:14:16
1 On 07/26/2014 03:31 PM, Holger Hoffstätte wrote:
2 > On Sat, 26 Jul 2014 15:05:23 +0300, Alexander Kapshuk wrote:
3 >
4 >> Which NTPd package would the list recommend using, ntp, openntpd, or
5 >> some other package?
6 > chrony - no competition, even for servers. ntpd is way overrated,
7 > unnecessarily hard to setup correctly, fragile and contrary to
8 > popular belief not even that accurate, unless you use external
9 > HW clocks. Chrony is maintained by Red Hat in cooperation with the
10 > timekeeping code in the kernel.
11 >
12 >> openntpd seems to be easier to set up according to wiki.gentoo.org.
13 > Many many years ago I helped port openntpd to Linux. It was OK-ish at
14 > the time and easier/less hassle than ntpd, but the portable version for
15 > Linux stopped working reliably many years ago due to kernel changes.
16 > IMHO it really should no longer be in the tree since it gives a false
17 > sense of accuracy.
18 >
19 > just my 0.01€..
20 >
21 > -h
24 Is this gentoo wiki article still relevant when it comes to configuring
25 chrony on gentoo?
26 http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/Chrony
27
28 Or should I stick to the instructions given here:
29 /usr/share/doc/chrony-1.29.1/chrony.txt.bz2
30
31 Thanks.