From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: load too high
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 23:05:56
1 On Thursday 14 February 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Thursday 14 February 2008, Iain Buchanan wrote:
3 > > On Thu, 2008-02-14 at 01:20 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 > > > Ahem. 'scuse me:
5 > > >
6 > > > I have 5.5G for /var/tmp
7 > > > Wanna guess why?
8 > >
9 > > well, this is Gentoo, so "compile X" where X=<any damn large enough
10 > > package> probably still fits :) Openoffice for example?
11 >
12 > spot on :-)
13 >
14 > It's a throwback to the days when I DID compile OOo.
15 >
16 > Then one day I got a clue and found openoffice-bin.
17 > Building from source is cool. Building OOo yourself is just cruel.
18
19 The cruelty is actually worse: the machines that will benefit most from an
20 OOo compile from source, are those old, low memory, asthmatic boxen, that
21 take two days to complete the emerge! I am tempted to start cross-compiling.
22 --
23 Regards,
24 Mick