From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] baselayout2/openrc question
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 19:11:42
1 Mike Edenfield wrote:
2 > On 2/4/2010 10:43 AM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >> On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 16:14:25 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 >>
5 >>>> How about giving the same warning when unmerging a dependency of
6 >>>> @system as you do when unmerging a package directly in there. Either
7 >>>> way, you risk breaking the system.
8 >>>
9 >>> Aren't all deps of packages in @system themselves already in @system?
10 >>
11 >> No, otherwise portage would complain if you tried to unmerge python.
12 >> Anyway, deps are USE-dependent. Try USE="X" emerge @system on a headless
13 >> server to see jut how much @system can pull in.
14 >
15 > Portage isn't in @system, either. "virtual/portage" is, but paludis
16 > also provides that. Python isn't a dependency of any other system
17 > package (except "file", but that's only enabled by the USE flag).
18 >
19 > It appears that portage's refusal to unmerge itself is hard-coded into
20 > portage; that reinforces my belief that portage should be responsible
21 > for refusing to unmerge it's own dependencies.
22 >
23 > --Mike
26 Just picking a random post here. The devs know this. It has been
27 pointed out on -dev and on b.g.o. as well. They won't do anything to
28 correct this. It just seems to me that portage shouldn't break itself.
29 Since there are other package managers, they should not be able to break
30 themselves either. I think maybe it should be the package manager
31 itself that prevents this. That way it fixes it for everyone. I'm just
32 not sure this is doable.
33
34 The biggest point is, the devs know but are not interested in fixing
35 it. Their response is to shut up and get over it, not in those words
36 but still.
37
38 Dale
39