From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge new package for no reason??
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 03:31:18
1 On Saturday 09 September 2006 06:24, b.n. wrote:
2 > >>> Calculating world dependencies \
3 > >>> !!! Ebuilds for the following packages are either all
4 > >>> !!! masked or don't exist:
5 > >>> net-im/aim
6 > >
7 > > You really should do something when you see warnings like this.
8 > > net-im/aim was masked for removal more than five weeks ago. It was
9 > > removed from the tree yesterday. There are more viable alternatives so I
10 > > suggest you unmerge it and use something else.
11 >
12 > Huh?
13 > Usually I ignored these warnings unless there was a good reason to care
14 > about. What happens if I leave an old no more maintained package on my
15 > system? can I b0rk things?
16
17 Well, maybe it's just me but I prefer to get rid of warnings from emerge, get
18 revdep-rebuild to report nothing to rebuild and get emerge --depclean to
19 report nothing to remove. There are proper ways to fix all of these things.
20
21 In this particular case I guess the worst that can happen is that a security
22 hole in aim is discovered and since nobody is maintaining it you never get to
23 know...
26 Bo Andresen