From: Kristian Poul Herkild <kristian@×××××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] VFS: cannot open root device "hdd2" on unknown-block(0,0)
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 13:17:32
1 Oh well...
2
3 I've been battleling with my Silicon Image PCI ATA-133 controller.
4 I've spent the last 7-8 hours trying to compile a working kernel with
5 support for the extra IDE controller. But so far I've failed. I've tried
6 several combinations (with/without support for CMD0680 - with/without
7 xtables - on 2.6.18 and 2.6.19) - and have tracked the problem to the
8 PCI IDE controller.
9
10 I've googled for hours as well, but I have no clues but one: Enabling
11 support for the PCI IDE/PATA Controller apparently pushes the device
12 names for the on-board IDE/PATA controller (e.g. /d_ev/hdd becomes
13 /dev/hdh).
14
15 Is that even possible? That the extra PCI ATA-Controller takes
16 precedence over the on-board Controller?
17
18 Kind Regards,
19 Kristian Poul Herkild
20
21 ---
22
23 Output from lspci:
24 00:0a.0 Mass storage controller: Silicon Image, Inc. PCI0680 Ultra
25 ATA-133 Host Controller (rev 02)
26
27 Error message on boot:
28 VFS: cannot open root device "hdd2" on unknown-block(0,0)
29 Please append a correct "root=" boot option
30 Kernel-Panic not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
33 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list