From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Automation: Ripping DVDs to disk
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2011 19:05:27
1 Hello,
2
3 I have a large DVD(movie) collection, that I want
4 copied to hard drive(s) and a database set up
5 about the movies. Since disc is cheap
6 ($75/2TB) I'm not even going to fool around
7 with conversion or compression, i.e. MPEG-2
8 is fine for now, unless the process can
9 be automated (see schema below). Naturally
10 being able to store video in different formats
11 would be a big plus.
12
13 I'm very flexible on the DB so any software
14 package that already exists in a (gui) tool
15 form, so that I can set it up with simple
16 instructions for an adolescent to:
17 load the dvd
18 execute the script or simple procedure
19 wait until dvd movie is stored on disk
20 then swap out for another DVD...
21
22 <rinse and repeat 500+ times>
25 What software exists, or what software
26 would be easy to script up such an endeavor?
27 Tagging movies by rating, genre, year, etc
28 would be a bonus.
29
30 Hopefully, playing movies after this will
31 be a gui experience; so I can turn the kids
32 and less astute friends loose in a
33 multimedia room where the computer is hooked
34 to a large screen LED device. Later on
35 audio (music) tracks will be added to the menu
36 or system, which hopefully supports a wide
37 range of audio files.
40 Lots of pieces exist in software, but, I'm
41 looking for recommendations on a complete
42 system, that is rather straight forward to
43 install new movies (and audio) and then play them
44 via an easy to use interface, seemlessly.
47 Any comments or suggestions are most welcome.
50 James