From: n952162 <n952162@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] why do I need cargo to make an initramfs?
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 09:34:44
1 On 5/14/22 10:44, Stefan Schmiedl wrote:
2 > Samstag, 14. Mai 2022 10:00:
3 >
4 >> I never needed to use cargo before, to update my kernel.  In what way is
5 >> cargo better than earlier mechanisms to build initramfs?
6 >
7 > With cargo being rust's package manager, I'd hazard the guess that
8 > you got yourself a shiny new rust component in either your kernel
9 > or your initramfs content.
10 >
11 > s.
15 I don't get it.  Why should something built with rust require a boot
16 packaging tool that also requires rust?  That's like saying, if a
17 facility has a python component, the whole facility needs to be
18 distributed with pip.
19
20 Can anyone tell me where the initramfs staging area or configuration
21 file is?