From: "Conway S. Smith" <beolach@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Whether Gentoo framebuffer console support 1280*800?
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 05:02:29
1 On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 14:41:45 -0500
2 »Q« <boxcars@×××.net> wrote:
3 > On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 20:52:05 +0800
4 > "Astomi Chen" <astomister@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >
6 > > Hi gentoo friends,
7 > >
8 > > I'm a newbie in gentoo world.
9 > >
10 > > I follow Gentoo Handbook to installl a new sytem in Vmware. My
11 > > question is the new system console is 800*600. I want to change to
12 > > 1280*800(my laptop in windows in this szie).
13 > >
14 > > I search in Gentoo Forums, find a thread
15 > > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=49036 about this topic.
16 > >
17 > > If I add video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr vga=0x317 in grub, system.failed
18 > > to start.
19 >
20 > <http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/uvesafb/>
21
22 In my experience, uvesafb is slower & doesn't actually support any
23 more resolutions than vesafb, so I don't use it myself; other than
24 one really nifty uvesafb has. It probes the video card & attached
25 display to determine supported modes, and provides that list in
26 /sys/devices/platform/uvesafb.0/vbe_modes. So I'll use uvesafb to
27 get that list, and choose a resolution I want from it, and then use
28 vesafb w/ that video mode.
31 YMMV,
32 Conway S. Smith
33 --
34 The only "intuitive" interface is the nipple. After that, it's all
35 learned. (Bruce Ediger, bediger@××××××××.org, in comp.os.linux.misc,
36 on X interfaces.)