From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] boot error
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 21:12:31
1 Hello,
2
3 I have several new portables to install.
4 On an HP9000z I reformatted the hard drive
5 and used liveCD 2007.0. I performed the most basic
6 installation (no X, KDE ....)
7
8 The installation ran to completion. The installation
9 process declared itself successful.
10
11 Upon reboot I get this error message:
12
13 Block Device /dev/sda4 is not a valid root device...
14 The root block device is unspecified or not detected.
15 Please specify a device to boot, or "shell" for a shell...
16
17 The partitioning is quite simple
18
19 sda1 ntfs vista(soon)
20 sda2 reiserfs /boot
21 sda3 swap
22 ada4 reiserfs /
23
24 Trying sda2 does not work either.
25
26 Is the best method to rescue this install to use the
27 minimal cd and fdisk and mark the sda2 partition as
28 a boot.
29
30 I'm about ready to use the Handbook and perform the install
31 the old way...
32
33 Any suggestions?
36 James