From: Jil Larner <jil@××××.eu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] start-stop-daemon sets USER=root - expected behaviour?
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2008 18:54:12
1 Hi,
2
3 You may wish to specify the --user parameter. As this tool is for system
4 daemons (therefore located in /sbin), it seems obvious it starts daemons
5 as root by default. I checked on my system and I don't have a setuid bit
6 on this program, no more it starts any program when my wheel user
7 executes the command. I've no error code, but no process is spawned.
8
9 If your non root user escalates privileges and is able to spawn a root
10 process, *and* there is no setuid bit on /sbin/start-stop-daemon, you
11 may fill a bug, if you have a procedure to reproduce it ;) Honestly, as
12 it is a quite old debian tool, I don't think it's buggy ;)
13
14 Sincerely,
15 Jil
16
17 Erik Hahn a écrit :
18 > I'm using start-stop-daemon for making sure rc.wmii runs only once (If
19 > you don't know wmii's way of handling configs: it doesn't matter).
20 > Although I run it as user, it sets USER=root and HOME=/root. Is this
21 > behaviour expected or should I file a bug?
22 >
23 > -Erik