From: Florian Philipp <f.philipp@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: star
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 16:54:32
1 Alexander Skwar schrieb:
2 > Florian Philipp <f.philipp@××××××.de> wrote:
3 >
4 >> Alexander Skwar schrieb:
5 >>> Florian Philipp <f.philipp@××××××.de> wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>>> star supports p7zip which can be much better and especially more
8 >>>> flexible than bzip2, gzip and zip.
9 >>> Uhm, what's bad about
10 >>>
11 >>> tar cf - | p7zip ....
12 >> It's a bit cumbersome to create a pipe each time I access an archive.
13 >
14 > Okay. I don't think so.
15 >
16 I don't want to flame but does that mean that you are one of the guys
17 that always use the menu button when there's a hotkey available?
18
19 Yet, I agree with you in that it's not a good excuse for breaking POSIX
20 compliance, one more thing that can break. A bundle of scripts would be
21 better to wrap tar and *zip.
22
23 >>>> I used find and grep to search for any implementations of tar
24 >>>> compressing to stdout - I couldn't find any.
25 >>> What do you mean?
26 >>>
27 >> Just that I used regular expressions to search for tar writing to
28 >> stdout, something that star can't, apparently.
29 >
30 > star can write to stdout. "./star -c -f - . > ../s"
33 Ehhm, yes, it can. Sorry for that mistake. I really meant this behavior:
34 "Turns out that star can't do "star xzf -", it will say "Can only
35 compress files." (from Volker's first post).
36
37 >> It seems it didn't work.
38 >
39 > What is "it"?
40
41 Using find, grep and regular expressions to search for a case which
42 could trigger that misbehavior of star in order to find out whether I
43 can safely replace tar with star.
46 >> Not all but some emerge actions failed while using star.
47 >
48 > No wonder. Command line options aren't compatible. And hell
49 > will freeze before Mr. Schilling will change.
52 I'm a bit puzzled. You wrote gnu tar is not POSIX compliant and now it's
53 star's fault that it doesn't work without modifying scripts?
54
55 >>>> I'll move /bin/tar to /bin/gnutar and make a symlink from /usr/bin/star
56 >>>> to /bin/tar.
57 >>>>
58 >>>> Let's see if it works.
59 >>> Command line options aren't identical. I wouldn't wonder if you run
60 >>> into problems.
61 >>>
62 >> Well, most are.
63 >
64 > Not really. For GNU tar, "tar cf - . > ../s" would work. Not so
65 > for star.
66 >
67 > Alexander Skwar
71 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list