From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} SSD instead of RAID1?
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 11:46:14
1 On 29 Jul 2009, at 16:20, Grant wrote:
2 > ...
3 > Anyway, the point of all this is to prevent an HD failure from
4 > stopping the system. An SSD is much safer, right?
5
6 As I told you before, I used RAID-1 of two conventional olde spinning-
7 platter hard-drives, using a hardware-RAID SATA controller. An
8 additional drive can be standing by as a "hot-spare" or RAID6 can be
9 used (on newer controllers) which resists failure of 2 drives per array.
10
11 Why would I mention this if flash memory is as "obviously" much safer
12 as your above statement seems to imply?
13
14 Stroller.