From: allan gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Trouble using package.provided
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2018 18:28:40
1 On Wed, Feb 14 2018, Arve Barsnes wrote:
2
3 > On 14 February 2018 at 17:44, allan gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
4 >> I have never needed package.provided before so am probably doing it
5 >> wrong.
6 >>
7 >> Any help would be appreciated.
8 >
9 > The way I understand it, /etc/portage/ doesn't support that, it should
10 > go in /etc/portage/profile/
11 >
12 > Cheers,
13 > Arve
14
15 You are correct thanks.
16
17 However now
18 emerge --update ... @world
19 gives a red-letter warning that dependent packages are in package.provided,
20 which is true. It then gives three possible remedies.
21
22 Rather than facing that msg every emerge and possibly learning too well
23 to ignore warnings, I adopted the third remedy and removed the
24 package.provided files.
25
26 I will temporarily use a two step emerge --update ... @world
27
28 1. emerge --update --pretend ... @world
29 2. emerge -1 ... files suggested by 1 minus the bad chromium and webkit-gtk
30
31 thanks again.
32 allan