From: gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Mystically disabled Ethernet connection
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2020 15:34:25
1 I am currently installing a new Gentoo system
2 on a computer that is run by a Gentoo system
3 that has not been updated since January 2019.
4
5 Initially, I did so by chrooting to a newly formatted
6 disk partition. My intention was to build everything
7 in the chrooted environment and only then start
8 to work in the new Gentoo system.
9
10 However, when after installing Grub I rebooted into
11 the new Gentoo system to find out if it works and
12 rebooted again into the old Gentoo system to continue
13 compilation in the chroot environment, I found out
14 that my computer does not have a working ethernet
15 connection to my home router. The "ip addr" command
16 showed that my ethernet interface is down.
17
18 I tried "ip link set <eth0> up" and "ifconfig <eth0> up"
19 commands, where <eth0> substitutes the correct,
20 "predictable," name of my ethernet interface but it
21 had not helped.
22
23 Initially, I thought that something was wrong with my
24 hardware, but when I rebooted into my new Gentoo
25 system, the ethernet interface started to work again.
26 Then, I rebooted back to the old system, and
27 the ethernet interface stopped working again.
28
29 It is very strange because I am sure that I have not
30 changed anything on my old Gentoo system except
31 for installing a new Grub onto the system disk.
32
33 So, I have tried to reinstall (the old) Grub from
34 my old system, but it has not helped either.
35
36 Finally, I decided that it would be easier to complete
37 installation of the new Gentoo system than to find out
38 what is wrong with the old Gentoo system ethernet
39 connection. So, I compiled xorg-x11, awesome, gvim,
40 xfce4-terminal and are currently compiling firefox.
41
42 Hopefully, tomorrow I will already have my new Gentoo
43 system working.
44
45 However, I am still wondering why the ethernet interface
46 stopped working on my old Gentoo system.
47
48 As, I have already said, I am pretty sure that I have not
49 changed anything in its settings. Moreover, I have looked
50 through the entire /etc directory of my old Gentoo system
51 for config files that were modified during the installation
52 of the new Gentoo system (suspecting that instead of the
53 chrooted environment I put an installation command into
54 the su terminal of my old Gentoo system or mistakenly
55 edited a configuration file of my old Gentoo system) but
56 found no config file that was modified during this period of time.
57
58 So, I am not in a desperate need for help, but just interested
59 to find out the reason for such a strange behaviour of the
60 ethernet interface.
61
62 P.S. I have read in the Gentoo Network management wiki
63 that the connman, netifrc, dhcpcd, networkmanager, and
64 openrc should not be run at the same time because it could
65 lead to "unpredictable results" and checked if it is not
66 the case on my old Gentoo system. No, on my old Gentoo
67 system installed is only the openrc with the netifrc use flag
68 and netifrc (which, as I guess, leads to only netifrc being used).
69 But, anyway, it has been worked so for years and only
70 now suddenly stopped.