From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge --update behavior
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2012 17:51:16
1 On 01/02/12 12:29, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 >
3 > That works for the case where the software is managed by portage,
4 > which is likely 99.9999% of what's on Gentoo systems worldwide. It
5 > doesn't work however for the odd case where I write some little
6 > program which requires a library (ta-lib in my portage file) and I
7 > don't write an ebuild to build it. I've never bothered to learn to do
8 > my own ebuilds but at some level it would be a good idea, and I think
9 > it would address Mr. Orlitsky's issue about what his users need and
10 > why. If they are on Gentoo then they could write a simple ebuild that
11 > did nothing but install the packages they want. That ebuild goes into
12 > world and let's him understand why every package in on the system. In
13 > the earlier example if all 4 files were required then this user ebuild
14 > has 4 entries in it. They ask him to run it, he runs it, it's in
15 > world. End of package issue I think.
16 >
17 > It doesn't address more system'ish things like editing config file to
18 > support those things, etc, but I don't know how that gets done unless
19 > he grants sudo to them, etc.
20
21 I have started writing ebuilds for my own sanity, but it doesn't
22 actually fix the problem. Unless you have perfect discipline and always
23 use --oneshot along with --update, you still don't actually know
24 anything about the packages in your world file!
25
26 Another example: I have a custom ebuild to install the dependencies for
27 www-apps/movable-type-5.02. One of its dependencies is dev-perl/DBD-mysql.
28
29 If I have both www-apps/movable-type-5.02 and dev-perl/DBD-mysql in my
30 world file, can I remove the latter? Who knows. Maybe I added it on
31 purpose because I need it, and maybe I forgot --oneshot while updating it.
32
33 There's no way to tell, and the existence of the ebuild doesn't preclude
34 --oneshot mistakes.