From: fire-eyes <sgtphou@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Finding other machines on the network
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 15:25:41
1 On Wed, 2005-08-31 at 00:51 +1000, Andrew Lowe wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 > I have the situation where I've been loaned an old Sun SPARC
4 > box for
5 > some work. It has a static IP somewhere in the 192.168.0.* range,
6 > which
7 > my home network also is in. My question is, how can I find out the IP
8 > address of the machine? I've forgotten what it is and it's also
9 > headless
10 > with no keyboard. Is there a utilitiy in portage that will try all of
11 > the ip addresses in a range and let me know if something it at the
12 > other
13 > end, ie something like automatically pinging all of the addresses in
14 > a
15 > range and reporting what addresses responded?
16
17 Nmap is what you want. It can do far more advanced things, too. But to
18 do a simple ping sweep (and portscan anything that it finds, which will
19 then reveal the IP):
20
21 nmap -T4 -F 192.168.0.*
22
23 You may need to tell it 192.168.0.0/24 instead.
26 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list