From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 'emerge -e world' question
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 16:38:46
1 On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 10:20:19AM -0600, Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > >> I normally do "emerge -uDvN @world" (or in other words "emerge
3 > >> --update --deep --verbose --newuse @world"). Right now, it tells me
4 > >> this:
5
6 <snip>
7
8 > > read the man page.
9 > >
10 > > Especially the bit about bdeps - these are usually not included
11 > > in 'emerge -uND world' but will be included when you use -e
12
13 <snip>
14
15 > When I do "emerge -Dtp openoffice" it shows this:
16 >
17 <snip>
18
19 > I'm still not entirely clear on why those appear with --deep
20 > openoffice but not --deep world. If they are build-time deps, wouldn't
21 > they be included when I emerge openofifce without --deep? If they are
22 > related to dev-perl/Archive-Zip-1.26 (as it appears), which is
23 > installed, why don't they get touched by @world? Maybe I just can't
24 > wrap my brain around how it works, please have patience with me.
25 > thanks :)
26
27 The problem with this last one is not --deep. It is --update.
28
29 When you issued emerge --update --deep world, it found that according
30 to the installed ebuild portage kept, that
31
32 a) OpenOffice does not need rebuilding-- since there is no update
33 according to version number.
34 b) none of the dependencies installed by openoffice needs
35 rebuilding, since there is no update.
36
37 But when you issued emerge --deep openoffice, you asked for portage to
38 consider rebuilding openoffice, which now looks at the ebuild in the
39 tree, which, as you noted, is different from the ebuild that you
40 emerged months ago. As such, any new dependencies that differs between
41 the two ebuilds and any build-time dependencies will need to be
42 satisfied.
43
44 And my suggestion would be to just ignore this little thing with
45 openoffice. If open office runs, and that the ebuild change is minor
46 enough to not get a new release number, then you can probably wait
47 until the next release of openoffice to worry about updates.
48
49 W
50 --
51 Willie W. Wong wwong@××××××××××××××.edu
52 408 Fine Hall, Department of Mathematics, Princeton University, Princeton
53 A mathematician's reputation rests on the number of bad proofs he has given.